Last winter, a group of community members presented a signed petition to the Board of Education with hopes of naming natatorium–the building that houses the WHS pool–after the school’s beloved swimming/diving coach, Garry Smith. On February 4, 2019, the Naming School Building & Facilities Sub-Committee met to discuss the request, and on February 11, it was unanimously approved by the Board of Education. This rare honor is in recognition of Mr. Smith's significant contributions to the Watertown community, his hard work and positive impact on students, his countless volunteer hours and dedication to our youth and his ability to teach life lessons that benefit students inside and outside of the pool.
Garry has worked as a Swim Coach for Watertown Public Schools, and Watertown Parks and Recreation since 1974 until present, and has held the following positions:
- Watertown Boys Assistant Coach and Diving Coach 1977 -2018
Watertown Girls Assistant Coach and Diving Coach 1977 -1984
- Watertown Girls Head Coach 1985 - present
- Watertown Recreation Swim Team Assistant Coach 1998 - 2018
- Watertown Recreation Swimming Instructor 1974 - 2015
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor 1976 -Present
- Connecticut High School Coaches Association, Coach of the Year, 1998.
- Watertown Oak Circle of Sports Award, 2009.
Click here for more information