2021-2022 Watertown Teacher of the Year Award
The Watertown Board of Education wishes to recognize and congratulate Watertown’s 2021-2022 District Teacher of the Year, Mr. Christopher Begnal. Recognizing his teaching talent and ability to form strong connections with students, Mr. Begnal was officially asked to join the Watertown High School English Department in 2007. Mr. Begnal’s dedication to his students is evident. Year after year, he seeks to form relationships with all students, making them excited to walk through his classroom door.
Mr. Begnal is also not afraid to try new instructional strategies--he uses mentor texts to teach students how to write for a variety of purposes. He consistently differentiates to meet the needs of Watertown’s ELL population. Mr. Begnal has taught in the Summer School Program at WHS. He believes that students should have multiple opportunities to demonstrate their learning, allowing them to be successful and prepared for the following school year.
*Photo of Mr. Begnal and his family with the Watertown Board of Education.
2021-2022 Teacher of the Year Nominees
The Watertown Board of Education would also like to congratulate and recognize the nineteen nominees, nominated for the 2021-2022 teacher of the year pool. Thank you for your diligent work:
• Jodie Angiolini, Special Education Teacher, Polk School
• Paulina Auclair, English Teacher, Watertown High School
• Anna Lisa Barlow, Fifth Grade Teacher, Polk School
• Julianne Bombero, Special Education Teacher, Swift Middle School
• Jenifer Caprari, First Grade Teacher, John Trumbull Primary School
• Diane Curci, English Teacher, Watertown High School
• Chelsie Guerrera, Math Teacher, Watertown High School
• Beth Kulmann, Kindergarten Teacher, John Trumbull Primary School
• Tara Lanese, PreK Teacher, John Trumbull Primary School
• Jennifer Longo, Second Grade Teacher, John Trumbull Primary School
• Erin Mathews, Language Arts Teacher, Swift Middle School
• Stephanie Milo, Fifth Grade Teacher, Polk School • Richard Peronace, Social Studies Teacher, Swift Middle School
• Ashley Pettinato, School Psychologist, Watertown High School
• Dorothy Rinaldi, Computer Teacher, Judson and Polk Schools
• Jessica Sharkey, Special Education Teacher, Watertown High School
• Corrine Stentiford, Kindergarten Teacher, John Trumbull Primary School
• Kate St. John, Language Arts Teacher, Swift Middle School
• Beth Wolf, SRBI Coordinator, Watertown High School
Recognition of First Year High School Principal CAS Award
The Watertown Board of Education would like to congratulate Watertown High School Principal Dr. Janet Parlato presented with the William Cieslukowski Outstanding First-Year Principal Award from the Connecticut Association of Schools in May 2020. An official presentation of her plaque was presented to her on November 2, 2021, at a ceremony at Watertown High School by Bill Silva, Associate Executive Director from the Connecticut Association of Schools. The First Year High School Principal award recognizes a first year high school principal who has had a positive impact on their school or school district.